Translation Business Systems Japan
TBSJ leverages technology to improve quality and service while reducing costs. This delivers the following main benefits:
- Use of previous translations to reduce the cost of projects with repeated or similar text.
- Use of project management systems that link translators over the internet to coordinate the translation of large projects whilst maintaining consist style.
- Use of glossary management systems so translators can efficiently access and utilize the preferred terminology of clients.
- Improved automation of formatting and DTP so clients can have these done in parallel with translation.
The following project types tend to benefit substantially from repetition software:
- Large technical manuals (often 40-50% repetition)
- Updated versions of technical manuals (sometimes as much as 80-90% repetition)
- Periodic reports like annual reports, financial reports, or business updates
- Excel files with multiple spreadsheets showing similar data
- Legal documents with many standardised sections
- General documents containing a lot of tables and charts
For some documents, both the cost and time of translation has been reduced by 70-80%, so although this is certainly not the norm, it is fair to say that for some documents translation memory software is very effective. For other documents the benefits are negligible or non-existent, but it is still worth investigating using translation software for any kind of work you may have. Even a small cost reduction is good to have, and the effective use of translation software helps manage quality as well.